Friday, May 29, 2009

Love's Labour's Lost

I'm especially looking forward to re-reading this one!  Harold Bloom says of it:  "...we all have particular favorites, in literature as in life, and I take more unmixed pleasure from Love's Labour's Lost than from any other Shakespearean play."  
Wow, eh?  That's some amazing praise from the man who wrote the book on the bard: "Shakespeare, the Invention of the Human."  
The surprise ending to this overtly romantic comedy is my favorite part of it.  It becomes most relevant when the veils of fondness are removed and reality takes over.  I'll be directing an edited version of this for a high school this coming fall and am excited to see how the students will choose to play the end.  (I've not done the edit, yet, so Shakespeare Allowed! will be very helpful to me in this process!)
See you at the downtown library at 1pm on Saturday, June 6th!

2 comments:

DG Strong said...

Such a strange ending, so perverse in preventing the audience a true happy ending.

Lovely luck today with having the kid read the final line. A great advertisement for what SA can be.

Denice said...

I agree, DG! George read exceptionally well for a 10 year old, and having him deliver that final line was serendipity! Having his dad sing those final songs was pure icing!

In so many ways, I think the ending is happier than those that leave us wondering how well the couple is really going to do after a whirlwind courtship (Midsummer) or a deceptive relationship (Twelfth Night). The women ask these men to wait for them--and if at the end of the year they are still interested, then they'll consider marriage. I guess it appeals to the realist in me, but that seems like a better set up for a real relationship.