Friday, July 3, 2009

RII July 11!

Can't wait to read this one with you! The character of Richard rides an emotional roller coaster as he wrestles with his natural body and his body politic. Shakespeare has given him moving and profound speeches that share his inner turmoil through lavish poetry. I really love this speech (which reminds me of Chance the Gardner in Being There!) where two gardeners talk in metaphor about the tottering state of the throne:

Go, bind thou up yon dangling apricocks,
Which, like unruly children, make their sire
Stoop with oppression of their prodigal weight:
Give some supportance to the bending twigs.
Go thou, and like an executioner,
Cut off the heads of too fast growing sprays,
That look too lofty in our commonwealth:
All must be even in our government.
You thus employ'd, I will go root away
The noisome weeds, which without profit suck
The soil's fertility from wholesome flowers


They go on to lament that Richard hasn't been an attentive king and has consequently been deposed by Bolingbroke.

The character of Bolingbroke has been referred to as a "Machiavellian," do you agree? Leave your comments and join the conversation!

Niccolò Machiavelli



4 comments:

David Teems said...

I think the title Machievel should be reserved more for the Iagos and the Richard IIIs (and his Buckingham), maybe even Claudius, Cassius, and the Macbeths. I don't read Bolingbroke that way. In any usurpation, or exchange of power by force there is a touch of The Prince [Machiavelli], certainly, but here Richard II is his own worst enemy. Bolingbroke seizes the opportunity as it comes to him, setting out initially to regain his own confiscated properties, and to salvage his name. Then there was his wooing of the people to consider. Still, I think Machiavel is a bet strong for HIV.

Denice said...

Thanks, David! I can't argue with you, but I'm hoping somebody else can! See you soon! =D

Mechaieh said...

Enjoyed the reading - thank you for leading it. Some thoughts at my blog.

Regarding Machiavellian intent, I'm inclined to agree with David, but I came to RII having spent a fair amount of time with the Henry IVs (it being one of the plays I studied eons ago in college), so that colors how I'm going to see Bolingbroke -- among other things, I feel someone more skilled at manipulation would have known how to handle Harry V and his sowing of wild oats.

David Teems said...

Yeah, Bolingbroke, as H4, has a soft spot for his young Harry, in spite of his ranting. Love confuses a lot of issues, but it also empowers them. And RII would have been better off as a poet. Of all Shakespeare's kings, he sings sweetest. His sadness is magnificent.